Friday, April 28, 2006

1:22 and All is Not Well

This job really pisses me off sometimes. I have located a problem with one of our "employee's" that has begun to trickle down into my other job duties. I have notified my superiors of the problem and what I think needs to be done to fix it, but I was told that there probably isn't anything they can do because the person has done this sort of thing for years now and she is old. Okay. Just because someone has done something for years doesn't make it right. Hell, back in the old west days, people drank opium like it was water, and everyone knows now that was wrong. There are probably a ton of other examples of this sort of thing, but with it being Friday afternoon, after a week from hell, I cant think of any more. A quote from Terry Pratchett seems appropriate though. "A Million dead people cant be wrong" It does not make sense to me to keep doing things the wrong way, especially when we have located the source of the problem and have the ability to correct it, just because that's the way things have always been done. The world changes. People change. Policies change, or at least they should. As for being old, well, I don't see what that has to do with anything. Besides age discrimination. I don't care if this person is old, young, cute, ugly, skinny, fat, tree hugger or anti-Christ. The fact of the matter is she is causing problems. Big problems that don't even need to occur. Now that we are loosing two of our current employees, taking care of this problem old lady is now my responsibility. Right now, its looking like I am going to have to babysit this "old" woman and cater to her every whim. GGGGRRRRRRRR. For those who know me in every day life, know that I am way too busy to play nurse maid to an old woman. If I was a big wig in this company I would tell her right off that things are going to change, and if she has a problem with it, then she can find another job. I'm sure the company would survive with out her. In fact I would be willing to bet my wages that it would thrive with out her. But, alas, I'm only a grunt and with out the backing of my bosses, I am nothing more than a bitchy employee. Even though I am right and everyone knows and agrees with me. Why, oh why must we hold the hand and baby this woman?! I truly do not understand.
Add this to all the other little fires I had to put out this week because some one else fucked up. Sometimes it really blows having a good work ethic. I know it doesn't seem like I do, especially since I do most of my blogging during working hours. I tell you what, though. I get my work done. I get it done correctly the first time. If I make a mistake I am the first one to stand up and say "Oh Shit, that was me. How can I fix it?" I wish this company had more people like that in our employment.
I love my job, most days, I really do. But if they will not back me on this problem and allow this woman to get away with the things she is doing, I am going to seriously start looking for another place to work. I can not work for a company that tells me I'm right and have a valid point, but will not back me up because they are afraid of an old woman. (Or young woman or man or whatever) If they wont support me on this, how can I trust them to support me in the future? How do I know that they wont end up throwing me to the sharks at some point? My bosses don't even know what it is I actually DO here! And I'm the only one in the entire company, either here or in LA that does it!
I'm beginning to think that I deserve more than cost of living raise when it comes time again. I figure I'll give them a choice. You want me to work like this, fine, but I want money to match the stress and work load. If not, then you have two weeks to find someone to replace me and I'll train them as much as possible for those two weeks. After that, they will be on their own, up the shit creek, with nothing but their hands for paddles. Suckers.

No comments: